Village of Shipkovo
The church of the “Ascension of God“ - It was built in 1858 with the issue of firman from Constantinople and after 1944 has been declared as monument of culture.
„The aircraft“ – „Aero“ type L-29 aircraft
Few know that there is a square in the village called „Vesselin Terziev“, in the center of it rises a plane – single-seater single-engine fighter. In fact at this place was the house of the pilot-fighter of the Bulgarian air of his majesty troops second-lieutenant Veselin Stoev Terziev, who was born on June 19, 1920 in village of Shipkovo. Vesselin Terziev is the Bulgarian aviation ace from the Second World War with three recognized air victories over rivals. He died heroically in rough air battle with coalition US-British bomber squadrons on may 20, 1944 in the sky over Sofia. Admiration of native people of the village of Shipkovo to the memory of the heroes has an expression and in the plaque, framed as a part of the monument of the perished in the wars inhabitants of Shipkovo village.
Pottery workshop is the place where in front of your eyes is made in unique colors and patterns the famous and in the world Troyan pottery.
Direction to town of Troyan
Museum of folk art crafts and applied arts
Located in the center of town of Troyan. The Museum of Folk Crafts and Applied Arts in town of Troyan is the first in the country, which shows in details the national crafts and tools and the forms, functions and ornamental systems in the main crafts industries: ceramics, woodwork, metalwork and popular textiles. The museum is housed in the first after liberation public building in town of Troyan, first school and later municipality built in 1881 from the Tryavna master-builder Master Gencho Kanev.
Art gallery Seryakovata kashta
The Art Gallery is the home of Georgie Seryakov – revolutionary and hero, died in 1876 for the liberation of Bulgaria from the Ottoman yoke. The house is a monument of culture.
Tourist animation center “Aidushko Sborishte” /Rebels gathering place/
The Center for tourist animation “Aidushko sborishte” is 10 km away from Shipkovo. It is located at the foot of the Troyan-Karnare Pass, in proximity to the historic Roman road „Via Trayana“. The base offers rich opportunities for horse riding in the mountains.
Ancient Roman road “Via Trayana”
In some places in the region are preserved fragments of the ancient Roman road „Via Trayana“ (the path of Trayan). Here at the time of the reign of the roman emperor Trayan Augustus begins construction of the road artery with fortresses around it, Its foundations can be seen so far. Combining several village trails, the road traversed nine Thracian settlements and fortifications in the area of Municipality Troyan, via tourist town of Beklemeto, the peak “Kurt Hissar” (“Wolf’s fortress”) in the southeast and downhill reaching the area of the village of Hristo Danovo. This is a section of the “Escus-Philipopolis” Road, pursued one of the most direct connections from the Danube limes to the province of Thrace. It had connected the Danubian and the central road, crossing „Hemus“ mountain through the Troyan Pass.
Arch of Freedom
The nearest monument for visitors, close to the tourist complex „Beklemeto“ is the „Arch of freedom“. The monument is located at 2-3 km or 15 minutes walk east of the highest point of the pass Beklemeto.
National arts and crafts exhibition in the village of Oreshak is the only place in Bulgaria, where masters from all over the country display their contemporary art works. The exhibition was created in 1971 and is built on an area of 50 hectares, has 8 halls with a total area of 4500 sq.m and one multi-purpose conference room. The main objective of the exhibition is to show the distinctive features of the Bulgarian artistic genius – the folk arts and crafts and also to stimulate their development. This is carried out by international, national, authors and other exhibitions with the participation of artists from all over the country and from abroad.
Monastery „Uspenie Bogorodichno” /The Assu/
The Troyan Monastery „Uspenie Bogorodichno“ is among the unique Christian monuments in Bulgaria. It is situated in the village of Oreshak, 10 km south-east of town of Troyan. Located on the riverside of Cherni Osam River. It is the third largest monastery in Bulgaria after Rila and Bachkovo. Founded about 1600 from settled there hermit. The Monastery is remarkable for its architecture and incredible wood carvings and paintings in the monastery church, made by Zahari Zograf. Famous is the miraculous icon St. Mother of God, attracts thousands of pilgrims. During the Renaissance there has historically been driven by an active literary and revolutionary activity. Today in the building of the monastery there is a museum collection and the hideout of the national hero Vasil Levski. You can see there Troyan folk-style room from the Revival period, room of king Boris III /last Bulgarian king/, a rich collection of church plate and other gifts. Here is buried at his own will Patriarch Maxim /ex Patriarch/.
Natural History Muzeum – village Cherni Osam
In 1965 the local biology teacher Ilia Iliev along with their students start collecting animal and plant species. For the needs in classes of biology has been stuffed animals, which can be encountered in the Stara planina mountain. Gradually the collection, arranged in the corridors of the school is growing and in the spring of 1976 has been moved to a new building. From January 1, 1977 the collection becomes a branch of the Museum of history in Lovech and as independent museum was formed in 1992.
Waterfall “Vidimsko praskalo”
The beautiful waterfall “Vidimsko praskalo” is situated in the northern part of the biosphere reserve “Severen Djendem” in Stara planina mountain, to the north of the peak Botev. It is located 45 km of Shipkovo village.
Direction to village Ribaritsa
Vassiliyov Chalet is situated in the highest part of the Vassilyovska Mountain, southeast of the peak of Vassilyov in wondrously beautiful place. Its geographic coordinates are: 42 ° 52 ‘ 48 ‘N and 24 ° 28 ‘ 53′ E, with height of 1490 m above sea level. The chalet is open all year round.
Starting points for hiking to the Vassilyov Chalet are:
• Most quickly the chalet can be reached from Shipkovo mineral baths – 2 h
• Town of Teteven – 18 km keeping the road to the village of Vasilyovo and another 2 h walk
• Town of Teteven – 10 km till reaching Military Holiday house in village of Ribaritsa and another 4 h walk
• Town of Teteven – 19 km keeping the road to the last bus stop in the village of Ribaritsa /“Old Ribaritsa Village“/ and then another 2.30 h walk.
Neighbouring tourist routs: peak Vassilyov /the highest peak in the foothills of Stara planina, 1490 m/ – 0.20 h, resort Shipkovo – 2 h; chalet „Coman“ – 2 h., chalet „Haidushka pesen“ – 4.30 h, chalet „Echo“ /in the Central Stara planina mountain/ – 5.30 h, “Kozya Stena” chalet /in the Central Stara planina mountain/ – 6 h. Most of the routes are marked.
Spare time at the “Vassilyov” chalet aria: visiting archeological sights /remains of strongholds and guiding hills/ bespeaking for inhabitation of these places from Thracians. The fortresses in countryside the „Kale“ and „Trasa“ imply the existence of an ancient road with communication or protective functions. A walk to the caves behind the ridge of the peak – near the peak of Vassilyov /south of it and to the left of the start of “Debeli dyal”/ is the cave “Mechata dupka” /“The bear hole“/ /about 25 minutes from the chalet/. Picking herbs, wild fruits as cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries etc..
At Ribaritsa village area
The Kostina place is located near Ribaritsa /30 km to the west of Shipkovo/. known as the place of execution of Georgi Benkovski /Georgi Benkovski – Gavril Gruev Hlutev, 1841/44 – May 12, 1876/. Born in town of Koprivshtitsa. During the preparation of the April uprising shows brilliant qualities of organizer. One of the leaders of the assembly in Oborishte, which promotes plan of the uprising in the fourth district – the uprising in the town of Panagyurishte and organise equestrian squad (the so-called “Flying cavalry – detachment”), with which also fought against the regular Turkish army. After the defeat of the rebels in town of Panagyurishte he had withdrawn with his detachment in the Stara planina mountain. He had been handed over and killed by an ambush when crossing the river Kostina. Here every year on 25 of May is held reconstruction of catching of Benkovski /among natives called “Live picture”/.
Sports-entertainment complex “Varbaka”
The complex is situated in the village of Ribaritsa, in close proximity to the main road. One of the biggest attractions in sports-entertainment complex is the dam for sport fishing, which offers to all fans and ardent admirers of this sport excellent opportunities for fishing.
Skiing is in the place called „Berkina mogila“. This is the only place in Bulgaria for grass skiing. The special ski equipment for grass is given on the spot.
For the children, „Bear school“ is organized in environmental information center in Ribaritsa village. There your children can learn interesting things about the flora and fauna of the mountain.
Town of Teteven
City museum of history
It is situated in the center of the town of Teteven, founded in 1911 from the teacher of natural sciences Mihail Koychev. In the museum is shown the development of Teteven from antiquity until the liberation from the Ottoman rule. Reflect economic and spiritual progress of the area mainly in the XVIII and XIX century. With most exhibits is reflected the basic means of livelihood of the inhabitants of that time – stock-breeding, lumbering, craftsmanship and trade.
At Glozhene village area
Monastery “George the Conqueror“
It is located 55 km west of Shipkovo. Turn for Glozhene monastery is close to town of Yablanitsa in main road Sofia – Varna. You should follow a picturesque narrow asphalt road, with sheer cliffs on one side and precipice by the other side. The Monastery looks like a fairy castle perched on the cliff of the massive Lisets. From there is opening out a splendid panoramic view to Glozhene village and the lowland, where slowly is cranking Vit river. According to the legend the monastery had been founded in XIII century by the Russian prince Georgi Glozh, who has escaped from Tatars and settled there with the permission of the Bulgarian royal prince Ivan Asen. Under the sheer cliffs he built the monastery „Holy transfiguration“, but the building starts crumbling down and the miraculous icon of St. George disappears. Later he found the icon on peak of Kamen Lissets and he decided that this was the will of God and must build a monastery there in honor of the saint with the name „St. George the Conqueror“.